URETHRAL STRICTURE TREATMENT BY BEST UROLOGIST
What is Urethral Stricture
Urethral Stricture Treatment is required for a condition marked by narrowing of Urethra is impacting the flow of urine out of the bladder. It is considered rare in females.
How to diagnose urethral stricture
Investigations to be done in patient with stricture:
- Retrograde urethrogram with Micturating Cystourethrogram (RGU+MCU) to define the length and site of the stricture. This is the most important diagnostic tool in case of stricture urethra.
- Urine examination to rule out infection
- Uroflowmetry to check for urine flow
- MRI pelvis and Perineal region.
SYMPTOMS OF URETHRAL STRICTURE
- Poor urinary system.
- Passing urine with very thin stream or passing urine in drops.
- Need more than usual time to pass urine.
- Sudden urge to pass urine.
- Have to go frequently to pass urine.
- Sense of incomplete emptying of bladder.
- Recurrent urinary infection.
- Retention or inability to pass urine.
- Pus discharge from urethral meatus.
- Abscess (urethra-cutaneous Fistula).
- Swelling and infection in prostate (Prostatitis) or in testes (epididymorchitis)
- Rarely flank pain while urinating.
How does urethral stricture occur
Main causing factors of stricture urethra are:
- Catheter induced inflammation
- Straddle injury to urethra
- Pelvic bone fracture posterior urethral disruption defects(PFUDD)
- Any previous endoscopic surgery done through urethra
- Previously operated Hypospadias
Can we prevent urethral stricture
Yes, it can be prevented by treating urethritis, by treating sexually transmitted diseases, by using good quality catheter.
Doctor for urethral stricture treatment
Urethral stricture treatment is managed by a reconstructive Urologist who is trained and specialized in urethra and external genitalia.
Options for Urethral Stricture Treatment
Urethral Stricture Treatment depends on certain factors like site and the length of the stricture and age of the patient. This condition is not curable with medicinal/conservative treatment only. Surgical options available for treating urethral stricture are :
- Open urethral reconstruction
- Urethral Dilation
- Urethral stent placement
Prevention of Urethral Stricture
It is crucial to see a urologist if you are experiencing symptoms of stricture urethra. Treating the condition right away is the best way to prevent/avoid complications. First surgery has the highest success rate.
Recurrence of Urethral Stricture
Surgery if done by trained reconstructive urologist has success rate in the range of 90-95%. Success rate decreases with repeated surgeries(75-80%). Success rate is also on lower side if surgery is done by routine urologist.
Infections by Urethral Stricture Treatment
Yes it can cause infection to others who get in contact sexually with the patient.
To know more please contact :
Dr. Gautam Banga
Urologist, Andrologist and Genito -Urinary Reconstructive Surgeon
Contact no. : +91-9999062316 | 011-41041131