Sooner or later, we are all going to wrinkle with grey hairs; it is something that is out of our hands. There are many who consider ageing as a blessing as they can use everything they have learned this far in a better way. Despite this fact, every 4 out of 5 adults suffers from at least one disease or health-related condition, and urinary incontinence is one of them. so let’s understand the available urinary incontinence treatment Delhi.
What is urinary incontinence treatment delhi?
Those who are hearing this term for the first time need to understand that urinary incontinence is the condition where the patient involuntarily leaks the urine. In other words, the patient urinates when they don’t want to. This generally happens when the patient loses control over the urinary sphincter.
“According to the survey published by the American Urological Association, around one-third of men and women suffer from the condition of urinary incontinence”. So, if you think it is a rare condition, let me tell you that it is far more common than the condition of obesity itself—the chances of Urinary incontinence increase as you age.
What are the symptoms of urinary incontinence ? and available urinary incontinence treatment delhi
The symptoms of urinary incontinence differ from one client to another. In some patients, the symptoms are minor with low urine leakage while in others, the condition is worst with moderate leakage or frequent amount of leakage. How and when the symptoms of urinary incontinence occur depends upon the type of urinary incontinence the patient is suffering from.
What are types of urinary incontinence ?
Stress incontinence: As you can already figure out from the term itself- stress incontinence is the condition when sudden pressure on the muscle responsible for urinary control. The sudden pressure can be caused by actions, including:
· Coughing, and Sneezing
· Heavy weightlifting
The condition is quite common in a pregnant woman as the bladder already has to take the weight of the baby.
Urge incontinence: commonly known as ‘overactive bladder’, urge incontinence is one of the second most common types of urinary incontinence faced by the male population. This happens due to the sudden contraction of the muscle wall of the bladder that triggers the urge to urinate that cannot be stopped. When the urge the urinate strikes, the patient has only a short span of time in hand before the pressure is released.
Overflow incontinence: The condition is common in men who have a previous history of damaged bladder, gland problems, and blocked urethra. In such a condition, the bladder either cannot hold as much urine as made by the body or cannot empty completely, causing the patient to leak a small amount of urine here and there.
Mixed incontinence: The mixed incontinence happens when the patient experiences both Stress incontinence and urge incontinence together.
Functional incontinence: Unlike the above types of incontinence, in functional incontinence, the patient is aware of the body’s need to urinate but make it to the bathroom in time to empty the bladder due to any mobility problem.
Total incontinence: In this condition, the patient either leaks the urine continuously or has no control over the leakage of a large amount of urine.
What are the causes of urinary incontinence?
The causes of urinary incontinence are directly linked with the type of incontinence the patient is suffering from. Here, we have categorized the causes as per the incontinence to make it easier to understand.
Factors that trigger the condition of stress incontinence are:
The main causes of urge incontinence include:
- Inflammation in the inner lining of the bladder
- History of neurological conditions such as stroke, scissors, and Parkinson’s disease
- Enlarged prostate
The condition of overflow incontinence occurs due to blockage or a weak bladder. the following factors contribute to overflow incontinence:
- Enlarged prostate gland
- Kidney stones
- A tumor in the bladder
- Previous incontinence surgery that didn’t go well
The condition can be a result of:
- Anatomical defects from the birth
- An injury that damaged the nerves that send signals between brain and bladder
- Condition of fistula
Other causes behind the urinary incontinence
Apart from the above, the other possible causes behind the urinary incontinence are:
- Drugs, sleeping pills, muscle relaxation tablets, and sedative
- Alcohol abuse
- Urinary tract infections
- Pregnancy, and childbirth
What are the available treatments for urinary incontinence delhi?
The treatment of urinary incontinence depends upon the type of incontinence the patient is suffering from. Once defined, the following procedure can be considered:
Behavioral Incontinence training
The very first way to treat the condition of urinary incontinence is to train your body and behavior to avoid the urinary leakage. The behavior training includes;
- Bladder training: It includes holding your urge to urinate to see how long you can control your urge to void.
- Toilet timetable: This technique includes urinating then, waiting for a few minutes, and urinating again.
- Double voiding: Creating the set timetable to use the washroom during the day can prevent the leakage.
The aim of behavioral training is to have better control over the bladder.
Medicines Available For Incontinence Treatment
In some cases, the urologist suggests some medications with certain exercises and training. The medications depend upon the type of condition the patient is suffering from. For instance, doctors suggest Tofranil and Estrogen cream for stress incontinence. While in the case of Urge continence, they recommend a variety of drugs to see what works the best with the patient. Apart from these, Botox is also one of the widely used drugs for urinary incontinence.
Incontinence Treatment by Medical devices
There are plenty of medical devices available in marketing for females who suffer from urinary incontinence. Using these devices would allow them to have better control of urinary leakage;
- Botox: This medication is no longer limited to the dermatologists. Urologists nowadays also use Botox to treat urinary incontinence. As the Botox is known for targeting and affecting the nerves that control the sensation, it can be used to control the urge to urinate in overactive bladder syndrome. Under the observation of professional urologists, the Botox is injected in both sides of the bladder, and the procedure doesn’t take long. The effects of the Botox treatment can last for several months, and it can be repeated if the patient witnesses any improvement in the condition.
- Pessary: it is a small soluble block that women insert into the vagina to hold the urine in the bladder.
- Radiofrequency therapy: Through this medical technique, the tissue in the lower urinary is heated to gain better bladder control.
- Urethral inserts: It is a tampon like disposable device that women use as a plug to prevent urine leakage.
Incontinence Treatment by Surgery
If any or all of the above treatment doesn’t work for you then, surgery is the ultimate option for urinary incontinence. Similar to other treatments, surgery procedure also depends upon the type of urinary incontinence.
You need to consult with your urologist to understand the best urinary incontinence treatment Delhi before moving forward with any of the below surgery procedure:
- Sling procedure
- The sling is the strap of the tissue or synthetic material that is placed around the neck of the bladder to create the pelvic sling to support the urethra and prevent accidental urine leakage. This is one of the best surgery procedures for patients suffering from stress incontinence. generally, there are two types of sling procedures that are commonly performed on women:
- Transobturator Tape procedure (TOT)
- Retropubic Tape procedure or Tension-free Vaginal Tape procedure (TVT)
- Bladder neck suspension
- The bladder neck suspension is the second-best option to treat the condition of urine incontinence in women. In this surgical procedure, the professional urologist moves back your bladder and urethra back in their right places to treat urine leakage.
- Prolapse surgery
The prolapse surgery is performed on the women who are suffering from mixed incontinence. As urologist Dr. Gautam Banga explains, this surgery is the combination of a sling procedure and prolapse surgery.
Artificial urinary sphincter Urinary Incontinence Treatment Delhi
The artificial urinary sphincter is the surgery performed on the men who are suffering from urinary incontinence due to the previous treatment of prostate cancer or have an enlarged gland. In the process, an artificial urinary sphincter (valve) is inserted to control the flow of urine from the bladder to the urethra. For patients who are suffering from urinary incontinence as a consequence of previous surgery, Artificial Urinary Sphincter is considered as the ideal treatment.
Although urinary incontinence is not a serious health issue, the condition can be embarrassing for both men and women, along with constant discomfort. If not treated early, it can affect the quality of life and, in some cases, can lead to serious health consequences. The available treatment for urinary incontinence can solve the problem and allow patients to lead a healthy normal life.
For further information on Urinary Incontinence, Please consult at :-
Urologist, Andrologist and Genito -Urinary Reconstructive Surgeon
Contact no. : +91-9999062316
Website : www.urethraandpenilesurgery.com
Address : M-4, Greater Kailash-1, New Delhi-110048, Delhi, India